Amma´s Ashram – Melbourne
Amma has said that:
“When the deep spiritual yearning of the disciple basks in the effulgence of the guru’s grace, an Ashram is born. There one grows in peace and harmony” She has also said the purpose of her Ashrams is to provide a "place where people can devote all their time and energy to the remembrance of God, doing selfless service and developing qualities such as love, patience and respect for others".
About the Ashram
Amma's Australian Ashram, founded in 2006, is located on a 5 acre site at 842 Frankston-Dandenong Road in Carrum Downs, on the outskirts of Melbourne.
The centre enjoys a growing reputation in the community for both its spiritual programs and contribution to community causes. Activities have expanded since the completion of major development works in 2014 (including building a large meditation and program hall, residential cabins, dining facilities and additional car parking).
Current activities include:
- Daily chanting (archana), meditation, arati and devotional singing.
- Sacred ceremonies (homas and pujas)
- Weekly cultural programs including satsang, spiritual talks, video, meditation
- Scriptural studies
- Amrita Balakendra – a spiritual development class for children.
- Yoga and meditation classes and retreats
- Youth and environmental programs
The ashram offers a beautiful and serene location and the additional facilities has helped to better support residential programs for those attracted to Amma's teachings and local, interstate and overseas visitors are able to partake in healthy and conscious living practices in the tranquil surroundings.
Short term accommodation is available in private cabins. If you are interested to stay contact the Ashram manager - Mani Kalimuthu (0425 114447).
We hope to further expand activities and introduce a range of new programs in the future.
Volunteers from the ashram also operate off site programs:
In early April 2012 Frankston City Council approved MA Ashram (Aust) Foundation's planning permit application for further development of the ashram for works including a hall, dining room, cabins, temple and other facilities and the use of the land as a place of assembly (Ashram) with associated accommodation. During the Gold Coast retreat in April 2012 Amma gave her blessings to undertake all the approved works except for the planned temple.
On the 31st of March 2013 Br. Shraddhamrita Chaitanya conducted a Bhumi puja at the site of the planned hall and a foundation stone specially blessed by Amma was laid.
With Amma's Grace the current stage of the ashram’s development was completed in October 2014. An inaugural hall program celebrating Amma's 61st birthday was held on the 4th October. In the intervening three years the ashram has steadily developed.
Throughout the project a group of dedicated and hardworking volunteers assisted, especially in drainage, path building, garden development, cleaning, painting, tiling, curtain making and much more and we are extremely grateful to all for their hard work.
Major works completed – as at November 2017:
- Renovation, upgrading and improvements to existing premises;
- Deceleration lane to provide safe vehicle entry to the site;
- Extensive drainage and internal road and car parking works;
- New gas and electricity supply upgrade to the property;
- Eco-friendly Worm Farm Waste sewerage disposal system;
- Dining Hall construction;
- Hall construction and fitout
- Storage and workshop sheds;
- Two cabins, each of which include three separate rooms;
- Ablutions block with laundry;
- Major landscaping works.
Applications are currently with council to build ensuites to the two cabin buildings to allow increased comfort and autonomy for the residents. Subject to the receipt of approval these works should be completed by April 2018.
An application is also with council to change the planning status of the site to a Place of Worship. It is believed this change better matches the actual use of the ashram and will assist us to plan for the future in accordance with Amma’s vision.
Our existing planning permit allows for both a small temple and commercial kitchen. Planning has commenced regarding these two buildings and we are hopeful that the planning process will be completed in 2018.
How You Can Help
As we proceed with the various expanded activities at Amma’s Ashram, we remain much in need for both financial and non-financial assistance from Amma devotees and volunteers. Any assistance that you can offer will be most helpful for future works and the ongoing maintenance of these facilities.
You can help in several ways:
- Non-Financial Assistance and Volunteer of Services.
If you would like to donate your services or any building materials, please contact the Ashram Manager, Mani Kalimuthu (0425 114447).
Please see the Melbourne newsletter for further information of seva days.
- Become Involved in Fund-raising Activities:
If you have fund-raising ideas, or would like to volunteer your services, please contact Nava Subramaniam (0415 966375). Some suggested activities include home satsang/fund-raiser dinners; cultural / musical show organisation; cookery classes, and garage sales. All ideas and suggestions are most welcome. Please email them to email@example.com.
- Direct Financial Assistance:
You may elect to provide direct financial assistance by choosing
- A one off donation;
- A periodic pledge (e.g. monthly, quarterly, etc) or
- Individual sponsorship
To make a donation, you may pay:
Our donation system can only handle one off donations. If you would like to set up periodic donations please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org requesting the banking details and requirements.
- Direct Debit: Please send an email to email@example.com requesting the banking details and requirements.
- By mail: Cheques/Money Orders (made payable to: M.A. Centre (Aust) Foundation "Melbourne Ashram Development Fund") and send to MA Ashram- ,842 Frankston Dandenong Rd, Carrum Downs. Vic. 3201